The "smoothly" part is the challenge... I still have a fairly giant hurdle to overcome in order for our file to be picked up for a home study. In order for them to start a home study we need to have a room for another child. We still have just a two bedroom so this is where the challenge lies. A few months ago we had a chance at getting a larger unit but it fell through. I believe it fell through for the will of God. It's a complicated tale, but I'll attempt to explain.
When we first moved into our home we were subsidized. In order to be subsidized I needed to be within a certain income bracket. At that point I was because the money I received for the girls was considered foster maintenance and that it was not considered income. This was great because my rent was much lower than what is common around here even though my actual income was a little higher. Last year when Jaylene and Julia were officially placed with me the support I received switched to Post Adoption Assistance. Housing considers PAA to be like spousal support and chose to include it in my income, thus putting me above the low income bracket required for subside. That month my rent went up nearly $400. This past January when I was applying for the larger unit that was available I was made aware of something. My PAA worker insisted that they should not be including my PAA income as income towards rent. I looked into it further and Housing admitted to their fault and then waived my rent for a few months to make up the difference. They also lowered it again. Thank God! Lowering it was great and in the long run it will pan out rather helpful as when I get a three or four bedroom it will still be much lower thank market prices. The drawback is that since I only have two kids right now, who are both the same sex and under 13 I only qualify for a two bedroom. Giving us a 3 bedroom would make us over housed if we do not have three children and they rarely over house people. So this is the challenge. I can't get a larger unit until I have Georgia and it is less likely our home study will be done so that I can get Georgia as long as we don't have a room just for her. It's a bit of a chicken before the egg situation. Not being subsidized isn't really an option as two thirds of my income isn't counted as income and thus puts below the minimum income for market prices.
Our worker did tell me that families have gotten rather creative with this and that some parents have set up dining rooms as bedrooms so that they can give the child their own room. The ministry understands that it is less likely a family will pay for an extra room when they could be on the waiting list for a number of years. I suggested the idea of Jaylene and Julia's bed being put in my room so that Georgia can have their room. She seemed to think that this might pass. We'll see.
After the complication of all of this and a little disappointment that this could hold our file back I was feeling a little glum today. Then... of course God reminded me of his promise. I walked into a store and this gleamed at me...
He always keeps his promises.

No comments:
Post a Comment